Sunday 28 March 2010

Final day of March daily thoughts

26th March - listen here. I quite like that I have become "Simon the scientist!"


Day 4: Nature

Over the last couple days I have been discussing the marvels that science has revealed, both of the very big and the very small. Science has shown us exquisitely how there is so much more to the world around us whether it is in the skies at night or in the hugely complex world of our cells. I find it quite sad that many people’s encounter with science is only through boring school lessons, or through eccentric academics in the press. This is because as a working scientist my personal experience is quite different – science helps me to discover new perspectives and reveals an exciting world that goes far beyond what I can often imagine. As both a scientist and a Christian I often see similarities between nature and my faith as these different ways of understanding the world both point beyond my immediate situation and needs.

Although all of us have to face up to the practicalities and responsibilities of everyday living, I often think that most of us do not give enough time to stopping, thinking and trying to see the larger picture. It is so easy to become overwhelmed with the everyday chores that we don’t find time to look down a microscope, look at the stars or even take a walk in the country. Of course doing any of this does not make problems go away, but by gaining a sense of perspective we also gain a new way of looking at things. You don’t have to be a religious believer to gain the benefits of contemplation and meditation – just go to the zoo or into your garden and marvel at the world around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment